View Walsh Trek USA in a larger map

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 22, Gautier (AKA Goiter, by Kris)

We mainly tried to get our sleep pattern under control today. Who would think two time zones would be such a pain? There were times that we were just awful. Watching TV at any time during the day had the potential to turn into an unexpected hour long nap, and sometimes longer. I found myself heading for bed three hours earlier than usual but totally wiped out, and then I would wake up after about an hour of the most awesome sleep, but I was then wide awake. Morning usually came and went without seeing a member of our tribe. We tried to get a handle on it, really we did, but to no avail. Oh well.

Shopping cures just about all ailments, so we gave that a shot. We took a drive down the beach to Biloxi to the coveted mall. There is still quite a bit of devastation in that area considering the amount of time that has passed since Katrina. The creepiest thing is that the whole street used to be lined with huge mansions. Now the only thing left is a few bare foundations and one lonely brick chimney. Most of the large trees weathered the storm without much damage. The ones that didn’t make it were carved into beautiful sculptures and made into a memorial park type thing that sits in the median between the two lanes of traffic. I’m not sure who the artist is, but it is amazing and beautiful and truly art.

We did accomplish the shopping mission, too. I picked out some junk I couldn't live without, and Ma paid for it for my birthday!! I just LOVE it when that happens!! Thanks, Ma!!

Another gorgeous day spent with family and finished with a swim back to Gautier for a fabulous feast and a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment